I woke up early this morning and my head couldn't shut down with all the thoughts and information I wanted to share with everyone about this trip so far. Every day has been so wonderful and full.We don't get a chance to get on our computers until the evening and by then we are all so tired. I know I will forget some things, but I want to remember every detail! So as I sit here with my cup of coffee and almond cresant I will attempt to put into words what I have experienced and learned so far about Madagascar and the amazing people who call this their home.
Everywhere we have gone so far people are walking along the roadside. The roads are very narrow compared to what we have in the states. The traffic is a little scary for my taste. I'm so thankful we don't have to do any of the driving. Yesterday as we headed to the first school we wove in and out of traffice...very close to the pedestrians and turned down what I would have thought was a walking path (in actuality it was a road, a very narrow bumpy road) to get to the school. We walk through a wooden gate to get to the school. You see some children playing along the way and several women scrubbing clothing on the rocks. Madagascar does have a public school system. But it is not very reliable. There are many days throughout the year that the teachers don't show up for whatever reason and there will be no school. School may be free, but you must have your own supplies and purchase your own books. Plus there is no "lunch" at the school. You have to go home during the 2 hr. lunch break. Many families cannot afford the supplies or books, so their children do not attend. The schools we visited are what we call private schools where the parents pay a tuition. They are two of the few schools that teach english and french. They were very welcoming to us as we gave our presentation and tried to engage them. Because the older children have been learning english for 3 or 4 years (I think) we did not need an interpretor. We gave each school some supplies, balls, jumpropes, english books and presented each teacher with a daily flip calandar in english. They were very thankful. We opened with a few songs and right away the kids joined in. But we also noticed along the fence of the school that other children from the neighborhood were drawn to the music. So before long there was a line of children peaking through the fence to see what was happening. It was very hard to not just open the gate and let them all come in! That's what I wanted to do, but it wouldn't have been appropriate. So after our skit I walked over to where some of the kids were standing and sat along the fence while Pastor Jon spoke. After we finished I greeted the kids with smiles and handshakes saying hello and how glad were were they could come see us. I know they couldn't understand what I was saying, but they smiled big and started sticking their hands through the fence for me to shake! A few of them had their younger siblings (I would guess) on their backs. It was my small attempt at making those kids feel special and loved. As we said goodbye to all the kids at the school they also wanted to shake our hands. What a very friendly bunch full of smiles and giggles! It is very customary to have a snack with the heads of the school after a visit so we were ushered into the directors office for a breif visit and refreshments. Unknown to us it is also customary for them to give us a gift. What a humbling experience...here we are to minister and encourage them, and they give us these beautiful Malagasy purses (for the ladies) and portfolios (for the men).
The Malagasie people seem to be so kind and generous with what little they have. The average worker earns $1.50 a day. Their life line is rice, which they eat at every meal. Most families will have meat with their meals only 2 times a week. The sauce they put on their rice is called "loca". Not sure if I spelled that right. All along the roadsides are fruits and veggies, hanging meats (the price goes down as the day goes on), rice and beans in baskets and lots of clothing items. It seems there are little shops everywhere. The fruits are delicious and so fresh! We are careful not to eat anything we cannot peal or wash in bleach water first. No drinking the water here either. We buy bottled water and also use a purifying system that's in the house.
The second school we visited was smaller and the children have only been learning english a short while. But they were able to understand our program and it was such a sweet time. They were very happy to receive the school supplies, english books and playground toys we brought. Again we were presented with lovely gifts, table clothes & wallets. After our presentation we said goodbye and headed in two directions.
The guys went out to a small village a few hours with a local pastor to give the kids presentation. Us ladies headed back to the house where Tammy hosted a Pastor's Wives luncheon. There were about 20 ladies who attended and we had a great time. Allysha, Cassie & I spoke on the topic "Being Thankful". Of course we spoke in english so we needed someone to interpret to Malagasy for us. That was an interesting experience. Our vocabulary doesn't all translate, but we figured it out and the women were very gracious. It was a wonderful experience. Their voices harmonized amazingly as they sung without any music. They truely make a joyful noise and it was full of emotion and love. What beautiful music they make. It was very different during their prayer time. When the leader begins to pray, everyone prays as well, out loud. These women love the Lord, and it was a privilege to join them in praise and prayer! It was fun helping them make bracelets and handing out bookmarks with a scripture verse written in Malagasy.
No comments:
Post a Comment